File naming convention: NoteType_date_fieldworkerinitials_keyword
• eg. FN.03.04.04.RC.narutofanfic
• Note type tags:
• Fieldnotes (FN)
• Interview Logs (IL) – actual chat logs, transcriptions, etc.
• Interview Notes (IN) – overarching background information of the interview, how you met interviewee, ambient
environment, what interviewee was wearing, etc.
• IRC logs (IRC)
• Message boards (MB)
• IM logs (IM)
• Email (EM)
• Analytical memos (AM)
Fields for introductory title/header
All fields should be included in each type of document regardless of whether they are filed in/applicable.
○ Fieldworker: Full name of fieldworker
○ Date (day of week)/Time:
○ Location: real, virtual , or both
○ Keywords: for what the note is about, eg. Naruto, fanfic, interview
○ People: Names of key people being observed. Use initials in the case of interviewees who are minors or who have asked their
names to be disguised.
○ Summary: A few sentences on what was observed: “This was the first day of fanime 2005 where we went to xyz event.” “This was
my second day of observation on x irc channel. I met x new mods and recruited 2 interviewees.”
○ Materials: any materials collected or supporting materials
○ Follow-up: Any follow up activities that resulted, such as a new recruit, info gathering, etc.
General tips and notes
○ Frequency and speed more important than perfection – develop practice of writing something at the end of every day of
○ Balance summary statements with detailed examples of quotes/conversation or interaction
○ Take fieldnotes on every event that has a supporting material – even if it is just the summary information so that we have
context to interviews etc.
○ IRC notes can be done in parallel to monitoring the chat